Wednesday’s Report 5th of February


This week in Belladonna

The Journal Pages

Last week I quickly added a new level in Belladonna to make room for the multitude of journal pages in the beginning of the game. This week I have rearranged the pages a bit, and returned to an older order. This means that it will take some time before you get to hear Belladonna’s own narrative, but also that the letter density is more evenly distributed throughout the game. This was the original idea anyway.

Writing these texts are hard work, because it is really this literary aspect that determines the quality of this particular game, but this week I have made an effort to at least put the first five or so letters into the playable game.

The Storyboard


I am planning a short and simple intro cinematic, to establish that the player character is in fact waking up in the laboratory just before the game starts. I had planned to visualise a few different ideas in storyboard form (for instance, my plan for a long time was to do some sort of first person perspective) but I ended up just doing this one storyboard and started planning out what assets would be needed.

The Main Menu


As you may have noticed, this week has been focused on getting the very first part of the game shipshape. Along with that I have also worked on the main menu. It is very minimalistic, but rather effectual if you ask me.

If you think her stare is intensive and spooky, just wait until she suddenly blinks, and thus proving she is not a still image but is in fact sitting perfectly tranquil, staring at you.

I am also still using the old logo I made a long while back, and haven’t gotten around changing. It is growing on me, and I don’t really see how I can make it much better, but it wasn’t really intended to be the final logo. It doesn’t even feature the correct flower!

The flower you see in the logo is the Amaryllis Belladonna, a quite harmless lily, where it should naturally be the poisonous and ominous Atropa Belladonna.

So change the flower then! Well, the Atropa doesn’t have a very spectacular look, and the logo will actually look more ugly and boring with the correct flower. I have tried.